Winter shopping this year was influenced by a sudden cold – whenever I am outside these days its always nippy and it feels like the wind almost bites you whenever you are not rugged up enough. The temperatures have been similar to how I would have expected them to be in Melbourne where the apparent or App temperature is around 8 degrees in the morning and evening.
I have an app on my iPhone called Pkt weather ( Pocket weather) which tells you the weather forecast for the next few days, usually a week in advance. The current temperature and highs/lows are a good indicator of what you should be wearing but sometimes in Sydney it’s almost like you need to bring half your wardrobe with you and be ready for anything.
The app temperature actually tells you what it feels like outside to you depending on wind and humidity. Just over the weekend it felt like it was around 8 degrees when the barometer said 13. Brrr!
This is where I went to find some warm clothing – Birkenhead point.
Recently redesigned, with views of the city – this shopping location probably has the best views out of any other shopping destination in Sydney.
There are a number of great shops and well-known brands and naturally a lot of avid shoppers.
Here are my finds from the day and some style inspirations…
A great Aussie designer brands with fabrics which are oh so nice to touch and stre-e-etchy! So if you find yourself a little bit confused on sizes in the store – feel free to pick up anything at all as One Size Fits All!
I love the 3/4 sleeve tops and innovative dresses and jackets. All styles are designed to be layered. Recent collections all feature pastel colours and a lot of stripes. Very pretty!
My picks of the day:
1. Layered, grey loose ends jacket with pockets and a white frill top/dress
2. Mesh loose top ( not very winter I know, but I couldnt resist!) The ties on the side of the top are what won me as I get sold on unique details on clothes.
3. The pants – Metalicus Move. sort of like MC Hammer pants, probably the most comfortable pair of pants for exercising – particularly pilates, yoga or dancing (all my kind of things!). The belt is long and everything is soft and stretchy, so you can fold it over the way you like.
Metalicus have so many different stores in Australia.
Click to find out more about their Fabric Innovations.
Really like the designs, very girly, lady like and I feel like almost every girl has flocked into one of Alannah Hill stores just because the display models look absolutely adorably delicious and sweet! Key objective when you go into one of these stores – not to come out looking like a doll for when you are back in the real world – beads, frills, oversize bows and pink fluffy sweaters may cause unwanted attention. Sometimes however, when your core shopping consists of pastels and stretch materials, its good to look for something more feminine and girly, but with subtlety of course
1. Pink and white stripe cardigan – perfect to wear over a simple tank top and as a pair with skirts/jeans.
2. Chiffon scarf – this one is quite long so can be worn wrapped around the neck for the summer breeze type weather.
Alannah Hill has an amazing website and you can also shop online
I am waiting on a pair of really awesome (in my view) boots so hoping I can show those off real soon too!
Hope my little shopping trip got some inspiration happening
Remember to stay nice and warm x
*Header image courtesy of Alannah Hill collection